”The way to get to the top is to get off your bottom”
– How long will you like down, O sluggard? When will you arise from your sleep? Proverbs 6:9 (NAS)
”You are only what you are when no one is looking”
– Not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but as the servants of Christ,doing the will of God from the heart. Ephesians 6:6
Build well today. You may have to live with the reputation you create.
”There are times when silence is golden, other times it is just plain yellow”
– To everything there is a season… A time to keep silence, and a time to speak. Ecclesiastes 3:1,7
Silence can be good, but never if it’s the result of raw fear or lack of moral fiber.
”Keep thy shop and thy shop will keep thee.”
– He who works his land will have abundant food, but he who chases fantasies lacks judgement. Proverbs 12:11.(NIV)
”Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it. Autograph your work with excellence”.
– Daniel was preferred above the presidents and princes, because an excellent spirit was in him… Daniel 6:3
” The best things in life are not free”
– Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold…but with the precious blood of Christ,as of a lamb without blemish and without spot 1 Peter 1:18,19.
While the Gospel may be ”free” to all who receive it, the giving of the Gospel costs, nd continues to cost, a great deal!
” I have never been hurt by anything I didn’t say”
– Don’t talk so much. You keep putting your foot in your mouth. Be sensible and turn off the flow! Proverbs 10:19 (TLB)
Many a foible or flaw
Need not show… for
If you don’t say so,
Others won’t know!
” We too often love things and use people, when we should be using things and loving people.
– Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves. Romans 12:10(NIV)
”Success is knowing the difference between cornering people and getting them in your corner”
– Can two walk together except they be agreed? Amos 3:3
”Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss it you will land among the stars.”
– Aim for perfection 2 Corinthians 13:11 (NIV)
”The secret of success is to do the common things uncommonly well.”
– Seest thou a man diligent in his business? He shall stand before kings; he shall not stand before mean men. Proverbs 22:29
Hard work. Study. Hope. Persistence. These are all ”common things”. They are the keys, however to doing uncommonly well.
”Definition of status: buying something you don’t need with money you don’t have to impress people you don’t like. ”
– But they do all their deeds to be noticed by men…. Matthew 23:5(NAS)
Trying to ”keep up appearances” is often a way ultimately to lose face.
”I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past”
– Remember ye not the former things neither the things of old. Behold, I will do a new thing… Isaiah 43:18,19.
”Even a mosquito doesn’t get a slap on the back until it starts to work”
– Work hard so God can say to you,”Well done”. Be a good workman, one who does not need to be ashamed when God examines your work… 2 Timothy 2:15(TLB).
Not only are each of us called to overcome our own faults,weaknesses and limitations, but we are asked to exercise our strengths. ”Just surviving” isn’t what we are challenged to do. We are destined to use our talents for God’s purposes, putting all our minds,hearts and energy to the work He sets before us.
”You will never make a more important decision than the person you marry”
– Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother and shall cleave unto his wife and they shall be one flesh. Genesis 2:24
” The Bible has a word to describe ”safe” sex : it’s called marriage”
– Marriage should be honoured by all, and the marriage bed kept pure,for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral. Hebrews 13:4 (NIV).
”No horse gets anywhere until he is harnessed. No life ever grows until it is focused, dedicated, disciplined”
– In a race, everyone runs but only one person gets first prize …to win the contest you must deny yourselves many things that would keep you from doing your best. 1 Corinthians 9:24,25(TLB).
Being focused, dedicated,and disciplined will make the difference between a medicore life and a great life.
So I dug out my ”God’s Little Devotional for Graduates” from my archive, did a quick review and have decided to study it all over again. As you know it’s filled with inspiring quotes, supplementary Bible verses and challenging stories. So I’ve decided to share as many of my fave[aren’t they all?] quotes,verses and occasional bits and pieces as possible.
I hope it inspires you as much as it does me.
” When you were born,you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die the world cries and you rejoice”
– The memory of the righteous will be a blessing… Proverbs 10v7 (NIV)
”Many receive advice,only the wise profit by it”
– Pride only breeds quarrels,but wisdom is found in those who take advice Proverbs 13v10 (NIV)
Most of us are surrounded by good advice at any given time.
– The books of our libraries are full of it.
– Preachers proclaim it weekly
– People with high varied experiences and backgrounds abound with it.
– Schools give access to it;labs report it.
– Commentators and columnits gush with it.
But all the good advice in the world is worth very little….if it isn’t heeded. Be one of the wise – value and apply it.
I’ll probably use the month of September for the whole book.